A 28-year-old nurse is now said to be suffering from serious and consistent headaches accompanied by nausea after suffering a concussion when part of the ceiling fell on her while in a staff...
You are here
13 held in threat to disrupt Carnival
A total of 13 people have been arrested in connection with a plot made to disrupt this year’s Carnival activities, acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams said yesterday.
Last Thursday, members of the T&T Police Service revealed they had uncovered and prevented a threat to disrupt Carnival activities mere days before the festival.
Speaking to members of the media yesterday after touring Port-of-Spain during the Carnival celebrations, Williams confirmed that more suspects had been arrested and other properties were searched during the weekend.
“No one has been released and the number is growing and there should be 13 persons detained,” Williams said.
Another El Socorro resident was detained by police for questioning after a home there was searched and the compound of the Darul Uloom Islamic school in Cunupia was also searched on Monday.
The family of Tariq Mohammed, one of the first people detained last week when the police first announced the plot, has since sent a letter to Williams demanding his release.
On the overall efforts of the security forces to maintain security over the Carnival season, Williams yesterday said: “T&T has had a combined effort with police, Defence Force and intelligence agencies working together to address the challenges that are confronting us today and into the future. We are working as a team to address all the issues in the context of crime and likely incidents of crime.”
National Security Minister Edmund Dillon, who was also on the tour, commended law enforcement officers for their efforts in ensuring the revellers enjoyed a mostly safe Carnival season.
“People are enjoying the activities and doing it in a peaceful manner. The law enforcement and members of Defence Force can’t do it by themselves and what we have, we’ve seen a good deal of collaboration by the citizens and foreigners and I believe together we can make it through this evening and enjoy a safe and secure Carnival celebrations,” he said.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.